Security Innovation Award Healthcare Project Winner
Faced with an end-of-life access control system, Navicent Health, a healthcare organization providing community-based outpatient diagnostics, primary care, home health and hospice care as well as comprehensive cancer and rehabilitation services, had to make a change. What followed was a highly innovative and expansive security systems integration project across several months and comprising around 500 doors, 500 cameras and a variety of other integrations.
In order to fully understand its security needs and challenges, Navicent engaged a variety of team members including nursing, risk management, human resources, IT and local law enforcement. Security considerations included:
- Unpredictable environment and activity in the Emergency Center;
- Infant and pediatric security;
- Pharmacy regulations;
- HIPAA requirements;
- Employee safety and security;
- Badging processes and management;
- Integration to video surveillance;
- Adequate integrations and configurations for dispatchers in the communications center;
- Maintaining high-integrity data and information for reporting; and
- Providing security, safety and support services.
Navicent also discussed its situation with long-time systems integrator, Tech Systems Inc. Tech Systems helped to identify some additional technical challenges for the deployment, including:
- Communication and data sharing with satellite locations;
- Centralized monitoring and dispatch from the new communication center;
- Customized integrations of independently operating systems; and
- Uniquely configured elevator controls and lockdown capabilities.
To learn how Navicent solved these challenges, read the full feature at SecurityInfoWatch: Security Innovation Award Healthcare Project Winner: Navicent Health Invests in Long-term Safety and Security Solutions